Federal Loans (Title IV Funds)
Students admitted into a Master’s program may apply for federal student loans by completing the following steps. These steps need to be done EVERY YEAR.
Steps to Apply for Federal Loans:
1. Complete the FAFSA (Federal School Code: G01736).
2. Register for the entire academic year on the STUDENT PORTAL (Populi) on the My Northern page. You must be enrolled at least half time for the entire academic year. MDiv and MACM students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits per term to be considered full-time. All MA cohort students are considered full-time if they enroll in the required course sequence for their program for the year. Contact your advisor before completing the FAFSA if you are uncertain about whether you are part-time of full-time.
3. Apply for any scholarships or grants that you are eligible for from Northern Seminary. See the available scholarships and grants HERE.
4. Read the FAQ page about federal loans.
5. Complete the Federal Aid Registration.
6. Sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov. Students who do not have a Master Promissory Note (MPN) on file with the government must sign their MPN for Unsubsidized Loans.
7. Complete the Title IV Student Loan Disbursement Agreement Form. Your loan funds automatically pay your tuition and fees. The funds can then be used to pay other account items, but you must give us permission to do so by selecting them on this form. Return the Disbursement Agreement to Northern Seminary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After completing steps 1 – 7, you will receive information by email regarding your loan award. Any loan disbursement date given is an estimated date. Your loan disbursement will be reflected on the student portal. Please call Northern Seminary’s Federal Aid Office at 630.620.2188 with any questions.
www.studentloans.gov – This website is a source of information from the U.S. Department of Education on how to manage your student loans.
Verification and Tracking Documents:
The Department of Education selects approximately 30 percent of all submitted FAFSAs to undergo a process called Verification. It is the student’s responsibility to gather the necessary information to complete this verification process. Please contact Pam Sheldon if you need assistance on this.
If selected, you will need to submit the requested materials by one of the following three methods.
1. Upload your Verification/Tracking documents at https://seminary.vfao.com/, under the Tracking Documents Tab. If you upload your Verification/Tracking documents, you will receive an immediate, system-generated acknowledgement via email.
2. Email your Verification/Tracking documents, along with a cover letter that includes your full name to NorthernBaptist@tracking.vfao.com. If you email your Verification/Tracking documents, you will receive an immediate, system-generated acknowledgement via email.
3. Fax your Verification/Tracking documents, along with a cover letter that includes your full name, to 1.888.536.5916. If you fax your Verification/Tracking documents, your fax machine should provide you with notice of successful transmission.
The Verification/Tracking documents that you submit will be reviewed within one business day of receipt and will be considered in determining your federal student aid eligibility. The Federal student aid file review process takes a minimum of four to five weeks once all documents are received by our third party servicer.